Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whole wheat, Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes



I don't like complicated in the morning.

I like things simple and manageable. I don't need to feel like a super woman in the morning. Simple works just fine for me. You do know what I'm talking about, don't you? Good. We have an understanding.

That's why I love these pancakes. They're easy to make, with less ingredients than normal pancakes. Just one type of fat (olive oil), one type of liquid (milk), one type of flour, plus the usual like sugar and vanilla extract. Plus dark chocolate chips for a measure of fun and (dare I say?) sexiness.

The moment I start reading those pancake recipes with eggs, buttermilk,  or butter in them, I start getting a headache...and my hips start getting bigger too, just from the notion of starting the day with a triple fat attack. I'm not a health freak, but I do believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and unless you're spending your morning sitting in a cafe in Paris and gazing at the Eiffel Tower, I'd say it's wise to hold the butter until lunch time. (Speaking of which...did you know that they have a brand of margarine called JOGGING in the Netherlands?! What?! These marketing people...Unbelievable.)

So...these pancakes are good for you. Olive oil, wholewheat, dark chocolate...Chocolate for breakfast -- I'm sold. It's always good to have a bit of fun to start the day with.

Whole wheat, Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Adapted from www.joythebaker.com


For 1-2 people

2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup low-fat milk
splash of vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon brown or normal sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 100 degrees C to keep the pancakes warm once they’re cooked.

In a small bowl, combine milk, oil and vanilla extract.  In a larger bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt.  Whisk with a fork to combine.  
Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.  It’s ok if a few lumps remain in the batter.
Let the batter sit for five or so minutes while the griddle heats up.  Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.  
Once the batter has rested, drop generous tablespoonfuls of batter onto heated griddle.  Cook until bubbles form along the edges.  Flip.  Cook until browned.  Add more oil to the pan as needed and cook remaining batter.
Once cooked, place on a plate in the heated oven until ready to serve. When ready to serve, top with honey and your choice of cut fruits.


No comments:

Post a Comment